Atopic dermatitis: prevention and treatment
In the winter season, patients with atopic dermatitis are always more, because to exacerbate this skin problem there are favorable circumstances – cold, dry air, lack of vitamins. Lviv dermatologists and cosmetologists Zhanna Prykhodko and Iryna Shvets will comment on why this problem arises and what to do with it.
– At what age does atopic dermatitis most often appear?
– Atopic dermatitis is a chronic inflammatory disease of the skin, which causes dryness, peeling and the appearance of spots on it, – explains Zhanna Prikhodko, a dermatovenereologist. – The first manifestations of atopic dermatitis appear in children under five years of age, but can occur in adolescence and adulthood. The development of atopic dermatitis provokes mainly heredity, and the problem is often exacerbated in winter.
– How to understand that the patient has atopic dermatitis, and not a rash of another origin?
– Most often atopy is manifested on the extensor surface of the extremities: elbows, knees. In severe cases, the disease affects the torso and other parts of the body. The lips and wings of the nose remain intact, – says Iryna Shvets, a dermatologist. – On the affected areas usually appear pink spots, papules (flat nodules) of red color with peeling. They can be recognized by severe dryness and itching. In some cases, there may be formations accompanied by suppuration.
– What can cause exacerbation of the disease?
– One of the factors is the weather – says Zhanna Prikhodko, – when it is very hot and humid (or, conversely, dry), frosty, skin irritation worsens. Clothing also plays an important role: contact with synthetic or animal fur is also harmful. And poor quality cosmetics can exacerbate the problem. For example, I had a 32-year-old patient who had a hereditary predisposition to dermatitis. Once she put on a Korean face mask, and it provoked stress then, and this in the complex led to a strong exacerbation of atopic dermatitis.
– And how does nutrition affect the disease?
– Due to food allergens, atopy is most often exacerbated in children – Iryna Shvets answers the question. – Citrus fruits, dairy products and chocolate increase the level of histamine in the body, which can increase itching, provoke even more redness and generally worsen the condition of the body.
– Can atopy minutes in time?
– This is a chronic disease, it does not disappear just like that – Zhanna Prykhodko states. – However, in childhood, the condition can progress to stable remission if the skin is cared for and monitored by a dermatologist. To reduce symptoms, you should constantly use care products that restore the protective function of the skin, eliminate or alleviate itching and peeling, soften dry areas. Antihistamines also help.