Exfoliated brittle nails: prevention and treatment
Exfoliated brittle nails may indicate general exhaustion. If you can hide a bad look, then manicured nails manicure will not save. On the contrary, it will make their condition worse.
Why does this happen and how to get rid of this common problem? We are talking about this with Zhanna Prykhodko, a dermatologist-cosmetologist of the highest category.
– What happens to the nails in the spring, why do they flake off?
– They also have beriberi. More precisely, stratified brittle nails are a manifestation of general exhaustion of the body, lack of vitamins and trace elements. Therefore, every spring it is desirable to drink a course of vitamins marked “For nails and hair”.
– Is this the only reason?
– No. Due to the influence of aggressive household chemicals, the nail plate thins, which increases the stratification of the nails. To prevent this, dishes should be washed in special rubber gloves (this will protect not only the nails but also the skin of the hands). Or choose mild detergents that contain a nourishing complex for hand care.
And often flaky nails are a sign of improper care for them. Few women know that you should not constantly paint your nails with varnish – 2-3 days a week they should rest and breathe. The varnish remover and the varnish itself must not contain acetone. Choose a varnish that contains nutrients, moisturizers, silk or nylon fibers. It is also desirable to abandon the use of metal saws, replacing them with glass or ceramic.
Eventually, the nails, like the skin, lose moisture, and when dry, begin to break. After all, between the layers of keratin (this is the basis of the nail plate) there are layers of fat and water, which add elasticity and shine. If the nail is overdried, it begins to flake off.
– What are some effective ways to improve nail health at home?
– Baths with the addition of sea or table salt are effective. Keep your fingers in it for 15-20 minutes, then apply a nourishing cream on your nails.
Baths with heated olive oil (heated in a water bath) give a very good effect. Keep your fingertips in the oil, then rub it well into your nails and put on cotton gloves. Do this procedure 1-2 times a week.
At stratification rubbing of a lemon peel will help. You can make an olive-lemon mask: add a few drops of lemon juice to olive oil, rub into nails, wear gloves and leave overnight.
The usual iodine solution has a strengthening effect – before going to bed, lubricate your nails with iodine (do not be afraid, it will be absorbed overnight, and the nails will be normal in color). Or make a bath with iodine and salt – in a glass of warm water, take an incomplete tablespoon of salt, 3-5 drops of iodine, hold your fingertips for 15-20 minutes.
An excellent procedure for strengthening and improving the structure of the nail plate – massage using essential oils. Take olive or sesame oil as a base. To which add a few drops of essential oils of sandalwood, rose, jasmine. It is good to lubricate nails and skin around them with sea buckthorn and rose hip oils. The usual oil solution of vitamins A and E will help a problem – rub it in nails before a dream.
For dry skin and nails, use a greasy cream and coconut oil twice a day – especially carefully lubricate the skin around the nails, because it dries first, cracks, burrs appear. If you already have cracks, to remove inflammation and prevent suppuration, make nail baths with a decoction of chamomile, sage, calendula.